In recent years, more and more people have found the need for either moral or health reasons to go gluten free. This has been a massive change and upheaval for both the people doing so and the food industry with another dietary requirement to cater for.
Things that they once ate and loved have had to be adapted or in some cases completely wiped off their menus for good. Luckily, living a gluten free life doesn’t mean what it used to and there are a lot of choices available.
At Deliciously Gorgeous we always try to be inclusive of all diets from vegan to gluten free to vegetarians to omnivores – we want everyone to be happy! One of our favourite recipes for our Gluten Free customers is a good crustless quiche and this Roasted Red Pepper and Onion one is gluten free and delicious. Serve it with a crisp salad and half a jacket potato for a really filling and balanced meal!
Ingredients (serves 6-8):
4 Large Bell Peppers, cut into strips
3 White Onions, cut into chunks
10 Eggs, whisked
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
200g Half Fat Mature Cheese, grated
Salt & Pepper
Lite Spray Oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees to start off with. Then take a large oven tray and pop in the chunks of onion and strips of pepper. Spray with a little Lite Oil and season. Cover in tin foil and pop in the oven for an hour.
2. Remove from the oven and take off the foil and leave to cool slightly for ten minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a big mixing bowl, pop in all your eggs and whisk them until completely blended. Add in the tomato puree and whisk until the mixture has turned pinkish/red!
4. Toss in the onion and pepper and all but 20g of the cheese and mix together unti the whole mixture is combined and at the end add a little salt and pepper and mix through.
5. Take a 20cm quiche dish, spray with a little Lite Oil and tip the mixture into the dish and cover the whole thing in foil. Pop it into the oven for 45 minutes.
6. After 45 minutes, remove the foil (at this point your quiche should be set but if it is still liquid return to the oven for a further 15 minutes) and sprinkle the remainder of the grated cheese across the top. Return the Quiche to the oven, without the foil, for approx. ten minutes or until the top is golden.
7. Take from the oven and leave it to stand for two minutes, the cut and serve – delish!
If you like some heat in your meal, when adding the tomato puree to the eggs, throw in a little chilli powder or some chilli flakes for a real kick to your quiche!